Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tough Questions

I was sitting in Starbucks a few days ago. Taylor was in her wheelchair hooked up to a tube feed. The woman sitting next to us suddenly asked me, "What's wrong with her?". Had it been anybody else, I think I would have fired back "What's wrong with YOU?" But I didn't. She her own special needs and told me she had cerebral palsy. One special soul curious about another. I answered her questions and I wasn't at all put off by the first time someone in public has asked me what was wrong with my sweet Taylor.

But today brought the question I knew was coming.

We were all getting into the van and out of nowhere, Marissa asked, "When is Taylor going to walk and grow up?"

I felt my heart drop. I knew this was coming, it was just a matter of time.

I told her that Taylor is special, that she might not walk and talk and do things that other kids do but we really hope that she does, and that she is going to need lots of help from all of us. When she asked "why" we said that it's because of the seizures and the 'boo boo' in Taylor's brain. She was satisfied with that answer.

I am not. My heart feels very heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...