Wednesday, September 23, 2009

To Learn or Not To Learn?


I took a quick shot of Taylor's incision this morning when they changed the dressing. There's no stitches or anything on the top, so right now it's just sort of gaping open much to my shock, I was expecting to see a nicely stitched up incision. The stitches are actually in layers underneath so that the scar will be a nice and thin, straight line.

Yesterday while Taylor was napping after her surgery I went to the Family Resource library in the hospital. I signed out a book called "Seizures and Epilepsy in Childhood - A Guide". I thought it would be good to do some reading while Taylor was sleeping and I had time on my hands. This is what I read...

"Only 10 to 20 percent of children with infantile spasms will have normal mental function; the vast majority will have moderate to severe mental retardation. This is the only seizure type for which one can predict such a poor outlook. The poor prognosis is in part a consequence of the underlying brain pathology, but it may also in some way be a result of the effects of this chaotic electrical activity in the brain."

I'm trying to learn more and better understand what we're facing and this just slapped me in the face. I closed the book and put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...