Friday, January 15, 2010

Renal Ultrasound


IV antibiotics continue, and this morning we were called down for a kidney ultrasound. That proved to be quite the experience!

When we got into the room I went to take a picture of Taylor with the ultrasound machine behind her. I've been documenting her story right from the start, so that one day she can look back and hopefully read all about her journey. So as I went to take the picture the technician stepped back, didn't want to be in the picture which is fine, doesn't matter to me. After she squirted the gel on Taylor and put the transducer on her I zoomed in on Taylor and just got the technician's hand in the photo and kept the rest her out of it. At the end before she left the room she tore a strip off me saying that she is a health care worker, she's here to perform a service, she's not interested in having her picture taken, not even her hand, and how dare I. She even said "maybe you think this is fun or want to put it on Facebook"...yeah this is a freakin riot lady. What a cow. She reiterated that she's a health care worker and that if she wanted her picture taken she'd work in a resort. Yeah, well let me know if you do because that's a resort that I will never visit. I'm still stunned by this woman and how unbelievely rude she was. Thankfully she's the only person in Taylor's entire journey that we have had such a bad experience with. Out of spite on my part, I hope you thoroughly enjoy the photo attached to this entry, technician's hand included. Cause you know I just take photos of Taylor's hospital experience because it's fun...honestly how absurd!

Anyways, back to the ultrasound. Once the doctors reviewed it and came back to the room to see us they said that both kidneys are quite swollen and infected. With a kidney infection, they usually only see one kidney infected. So this is going to mean a longer course of treatment. Still just 14 days IV, but an additional week of oral antibiotics once we go home. Also, one tract going from the kidney to the bladder is slightly enlarged. This will be further investigated with a VCUG (Voiding Cysto-Urethrogram) to determine if she has urinary reflux, a condition that causes urine to move backwards from the bladder back up to the kidneys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...